Oh, Lord Saturn! The mysterious one,
Thy mother is the shadow and thy father is the Sun,
You are considered, only malefic, by some,
Others know you as the benevolent one.
God gave you the task to purify each one
Through all types of experiences under the Sun.
Bless us and remove our shackles, one by one.
The Saturn, Shani Fast beings August 11th through November 24th, 2018 for 16 Saturdays after the New Moon enters the star constellation Sharavana.
Saturn is one of the most challenging areas of life where we face our karma and learn patience and letting go. Saturn teaches us about discipline and hard work through our efforts and teaches us lessons by bringing about experiences in our lives that can be very hard but ultimately transforming.
Saturn’s transits include Sade Sati and ashta mashani which can be a lot to handle. Doing remedies for these periods can be really beneficial, especially, if Saturn is malefic in your natal chart. *You’ll need to get your chart analyzed to see if Saturn is posing a challenge for you by blocking your life path.
One remedy for Saturn is fasting and everyone will benefit from performing the Shani fast.
The Shani fast always starts in the month of Shravana which is usually in July or August when theFull Moon enters the Shravana nakshatra.
Tips for the Shani Fast:
- Start the fast on the 1st Saturday after the New Moon in Cancer and perform the fast each Saturday for 16 consecutive Saturdays
- Begin the fast on Saturday at sunrise and end the fast at sunrise on Sunday
- Start the day by cleansing your body in a bath or shower
- Sit in meditation and do prayers or mantras (see the mantras recommended below) to Shani/Saturn asking for blessings. DO NOT ask for something specific because Shani may want to give you more than you can handle but you can express your concerns and worries.
- Fast in faith – if you are resentful, the fast will have no positive effects.
- Try to avoid being angry or hold negative thoughts during your fast. If these thoughts come up, acknowledged them, take a deep breath and simply let them go. If you feel anger or frustration go for a walk, do gentle exercise, journal your feelings or emotional tapping techniques to release them as they arise.
- Be gentle with yourself and extend compassion and grace as you travel through the Shani fast. It is a spiritual journey and you may wish to spend time in quiet thought. It is a good time to start a journal to process your thoughts, feelings and emotions.
Shani Mantras: (recite 108 times)
Om Praam Preem Pruam Shanayihrahya Namah
Om Nilanajana Samabhasam, Ravi putram Yamagrajam
Chhaya Martanda Sambhutham, Tam Namami Shanischaram
Bija mantra (say 108 times during your fast)
Om Praam Preem Praum Sah Shanicharaya Namah
Maha Mritunjaya Mantra for Shiva (Say 12 or 108 times)
Om Tryambakam Yajamahe Sughandim Pushti Vardhanam Urvarukmive bandhanan Mrityo mokshiya Ma amrita
**Mantras should be said once, twice or three times a day or 108 times on the Saturday of fasting.
Suggestions on Fasting (Full and Half Fast)
Fast from sunrise on Saturday to sunrise on Sunday for 16 consecutive Saturdays. Choose either a full or half fast depending upon your health and body needs.
Half Shani Fast:
During the daylight hours: Eat only fruit and/or drink only juice and/or water.
Evening: Follow a vegetarian diet (no meat, eggs, fish, chicken, grains, or salt). No alcohol.
Full Shani Fast:
No food from sunrise Saturday to sunrise Sunday. You may have water and fruit.
**NOTE: If you cannot fast due to health reasons or it is not practical, you can still keep Saturday sacred by eating a vegetarian diet and avoiding alcohol.
Share your Shani fast journey with us! We support you – Namaste!
If you want to find out more about your personal natal chart and how Saturn is influencing you and bringing your karma, scheduled a consultation with Pundit Samavedula. He can help you with custom remedies for Shani to ease suffering and bring about the blessings of Saturn.